Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden (18 Nov 2018 – 31 Mar 2019 )
Enjoy sunny afternoons on the slopes of Table Mountain, with the best music South Africa has to offer. Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens is world famous for the breathtaking views, and diverse Cape flora it displays. Nestled against the eastern slopes of Table Mountain, it is home to a variety of birds – including the brilliant green and red sugarbirds, owls, franklins and guinea fowl.
On Sunday afternoons, Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden will be transformed to accommodate a stage for outdoor live music concerts. Well-loved local and international artists will grace the stage, while lovers of music and the outdoors enjoy the tunes and the summer sun. Bring along your friends and family, picnic baskets (or pre-order one from the Kirstenbosch Tea Room or Moyo Restaurant Kirstenbosch) and blankets to enjoy the country’s indigenous flora with Table Mountain as the backdrop to the music. Kirstenbosch Summer Concerts is part of a series of outdoor live music concerts, featuring some of the hottest South African acts in the industry. From jazz, R&B, hip-hop, folk, rock to big band swing the concerts appeal to all ages and tastes.
These Cape Town outdoor concerts are held on the garden’s magnificent lawns, where the soft grass banks slope gently down towards the stage, backed by the natural amphitheatre of Table Mountain’s eastern face. Concertgoers, armed with picnic baskets and bottles of wine, should arrive early to enjoy the late afternoon warmth before the music begins and the sun slowly slips behind the mountain.
If you are looking for enthralling entertainment this summer season in Cape Town, don’t despair, the Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concerts 2018/2019 returns on Sunday, 18 November 2018 to Sunday, 31 March 2019. The concert series which is hosted at a world heritage site, Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden, will undoubtedly be the highlight of Cape Town’s Sunday events. The Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concerts stage will include several old favourites, including Mango Groove, Mi Casa, Lira, Goldfish, The Parlotones, The Soil, Freshlyground, Cape Town Folk ‘n Acoustic Music Festival, The Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra, Matthew Mole, and Fokofpolisiekar. Jeremy Loops, South African singer, songwriter and record producer will be sharing the stage with the 7-piece Cape Town based band formed in 2010, Crimson House for a New Year’s Eve performance. Alongside these performances, you can also look forward to Boney M. featuring Liz Mitchell with their hits that dominated the European charts, such as Daddy Cool, Ma Baker, Belfast, Rivers of Babylon, Brown Girl in the Ring, Rasputin and Mary’s Boy Child.
This year, the Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concerts 2018/2019 will also open up its stage to many artists who will be performing at Kirstenbosch for the first time. Tresor, winner for the Best Pop Album in 2016 and 2018, will open this year’s concerts series with his Afropolitan sound. The house duo Black Motion, well-known for their use of the African drum and not conforming to the usual house music sound, will be sharing the stage with Collide singer, Lady Zamar. Afro-soul singer-songwriter, Amanda Black shares the stage with producer Sun El Musician. Other newcomers to Kirstenbosch are Jan Blohm, Spoegwolf, Mafikizolo, Bam Bam Brown and Easy Freak.
- Where:Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden, Rhodes Drive, Newlands
- When: 18 November 2018 to 31 March 2019
- Times: Gates open 16h00, concerts start time varies between 17h00, 17h15 and 17h30, concerts end at 19h00.
- Concert Info: 021 799 8783
- Ticket Sales: Webtickets.
- Proof of age must be produced for each youth (6-21) ticket redeemed at Kirstenbosch. Children under 6yrs are free.
- NB! All concerts take place irrespective of rain. Regret no refunds are issued.
- Refreshments: What to bring – Bring some Cape wine and a delicious picnic to enjoy or order a picnic from Moyo Restaurant Kirstenbosch, (021) 762 9585 or Kirstenbosch Tea Room, (021) 797 4883.
- Disabled facilities. Kirstenbosch is wheel-chair friendly, and well signposted for physically disabled visitors. Should you require a wheel-chair during your visit, please contact the general information office, (021) 799 8783, in advance to book one.
- Parking is available for the physically disabled. Enter at Top Gate, otherwise known as Rycroft Gate or Gate 3, and proceed to the service area off Camphor Avenue for parking.
- Toilets. Concert venue toilets for the physically disabled are clearly marked, and are situated close to the concert venue.
- For accommodation contact Michelle from Mountain Manor Guest House in Cape Town